In the time it took to read this the following crimes took Place in the US!

0 +
Auto Theft
0 +
Dollar Loss

Van Nuys History

Van Nuys, California, lies at the Latitude and Longitude coordinates of 34.1899° N, 118.4514° W, encompassing the US Postal Zip codes 91401, 91405, 91406, 91411, and 91423. It is situated in the southeastern portion of the San Fernando Valley within the city of Los Angeles, covering an area of approximately 8.99 square miles. The community borders Sherman Oaks to the south, North Hills to the north, and Panorama City to the east.

Historically, the land surrounding Van Nuys was inhabited by Native American tribes and later colonized by Spanish settlers in the 18th century. Van Nuys was founded in the early 20th century as part of the Los Angeles Suburban Homes Company’s development project. The area witnessed significant growth and development following the arrival of the Los Angeles Aqueduct, which provided a vital water supply to the region.

Incorporated as a district of Los Angeles in 1915, Van Nuys experienced further expansion with the development of its airport, the Van Nuys Airport, which became one of the busiest general aviation airports in the world. Today, Van Nuys is a diverse and vibrant community with a rich cultural heritage and a thriving economy.

van nuys Population



Housing Units




Owner Occupied


Van Nuys, California, boasts a population of around 109,864 residents, making it a vibrant and bustling community, with a median age of 37. The community exhibits a fairly balanced gender distribution, with 49.89%males and 50.11% females. Of the resident population, 55.85% are US-born citizens, while 20.88% are non-US-born citizens, and 23.26% are non-citizens.

In Van Nuys, California, 24.9% of the population is under the age of 18, while 12.1% are over the age of 65. The population density is approximately 20 people per acre.

Van Nuys offers a variety of housing options to suit different needs. The community features 13,945 units, with an average household size of 3. Family-oriented living is prevalent, with 63.71% of units being family households. Non-family units constitute the remaining 36.29%. In addition, 31.69% of households are comprised of families with children, while the remaining 68.31% are without children.

Ownership is an option for those seeking stability, with 25% of units owner-occupied. The remaining 75% are rentals, with an average monthly housing cost of $1,684.  The median home value sits at $700,050, with 74.27% of homeowners utilizing mortgages. Approximately 25.73% of homes are without mortgages, with a median value of $637,250.

Education is valued in Van Nuys. Approximately 23% hold a high school diploma, while 26% have earned college certificates and a noteworthy 18% possess bachelor’s degrees.  A significant portion 7% hold Master’s degrees. 26% of Van Nuys, California’s population lacks a high school diploma. 

The workforce reflects this focus on education, with a 76.55% labor force participation rate.  White-collar professions dominate the working landscape at 76.55% compared to 23.45% in blue-collar occupations.

Van Nuys enjoys a stable economic position. The average annual household income reaches $75,913, with a median household income of $56,298. This data paints a picture of Van Nuys as a thriving community with a diverse population, a range of housing options, and a well-educated workforce contributing to a robust economy. 

van nuys Crime statistics





Auto Theft




Van Nuys, California, falls under the jurisdiction of the Los Angeles Police Department and the Los Angeles City Fire Department. Like numerous urban areas, Van Nuys encounters issues concerning property crimes like burglaries and home invasions. Factors such as police manpower shortages and an increasing crime rate contribute to the heightened risk residents face in becoming victims of these offenses.

Van Nuys experiences a higher crime rate compared to neighboring cities. On average, a crime occurs every 49 minutes in Van Nuys. Homes lacking security systems are 300% more likely to be targeted for robbery. The annual crime rate in Van Nuys is 64.06 incidents per 1,000 residents, with variations across neighborhoods. The northwest area of Van Nuys, CA, sees a higher incidence of crime, averaging about 1,761 incidents per year. Conversely, the southwest region experiences fewer cases, typically around 9 annually. Your chances of being a crime victim could range from 1 in 12 in the northeast neighborhoods to 1 in 24 in the south part of the city. 

Van Nuys experiences a total violent crime rate of 6.898 incidents per 1,000 residents annually, including 7.8 for assault, 4.8 for robbery, 0.76 for rape, and 0.04 for murder. Property crime accounts for a total rate of 22.23 incidents per 1,000 residents annually, including 9.89 incidents of theft, 5.84 incidents of vehicle theft, and 6.03 incidents of burglary. 

Considering these statistics, enhancing home security is advisable. Advanced systems featuring door and glass break sensors, along with motion detectors, can effectively prevent potential intrusions and safeguard your possessions.

Your security is “Alarm 1’s top priority”

 We can help protect your property with an efficient alarm and video surveillance system. Our Security Advisors can develop a security solution tailored to your needs to ensure your businesses and family’s safety. Burglaries can happen at any time of day or night, which is an unfortunate reality.

Our Licensed Affiliates have decades of experience installing video surveillance and alarm systems, and helping clients manage the security at their homes and businesses.

Request Info

Fill out the contact form and a Security Advisor will get back with you promptly and schedule a free estimate.